“Today we are going to make edible dinosaur poop……..” After you say these words you can look down at your sweet little dino fan and see a big grin spread across his face.
Hands-on learning? Check.
Chocolatey delicious? Check.
Can you even come up with a better project for a 7 year-old dinosaur fan?! Seriously peeps, this is awesome. These dinosaur cookies are perfect for little dinosaur lovers everywhere.
If you are celebrating the opening of Jurassic World like we are (not that our kids are going to actually see the movie in the theater or anything but that’s just a minor detail) then you have to try out this totally gross and amazingly chocolatey treat. I mean really, when you hear your child ask “can we have more Dinosaur Doodoo Bites, Mom?” it will warm your heart and totally make the mess all worth it.
So, if you are interested in making your little dinosaur fan happy then you have to try these. They are super easy to make and tasty too. Here is the recipe for ya so go ahead and mix up a batch!
(These would also be great cookies for a dinosaur themed birthday party! Which kind of makes me want to throw a dinosaur party just for the fun of it.)
Ingredients for Jurassic Dino Doodoo Bites:
- 2 cups Natural Granola
- 2 cups (1 bag) Chocolate Chips (the good kind)
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler. Or create your own like I did by putting an inch of water in a pot and putting a bowl on top of it.
- Mix the chocolate chips as they are melting.
- After the chocolate chips are melted, remove the bowl and stir in the granola.
- Next, stir in the honey.
- Last, stir in the vanilla.
- After everything is mixed well you can spoon the mixture onto a cookie sheet making little dung balls.
- Then put the pan in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up the bites.
- Eat them!
- For best results you should keep your doodoo bites stored in a container in the fridge.
And now, the photos…
Here is my DIY double boiler with the chips in the bowl.
The chips are starting to melt.
The chocolate is almost melted.
Two cups of granola coming right up.
Pouring in the honey.
At some point during all of this there was a child throwing a screaming tantrum on the floor but I didn’t think that would make for a real Pinterest-y photo so I didn’t take a picture of that. Just keepin’ it real here, folks.
Anyways, here are the kids all calm and scooping the chocolate mess onto the pan.
Here’s what they looked like right before they went into the fridge (the cookies, not the kids).
And here is the final product after they firmed up in the fridge.
We (I) had so much fun with this, making lots of jokes about the dino doodoo, and the kids loved eating that chocolatey goodness. The whole project was good for a laugh – I was even laughing as I put this post together because it’s just so grossly funny. Or maybe I’m weird. Or tired. Or both!
Enjoy this yummy treat and don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter for more dinosaur fun!