Note: This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
If you are looking for a dinosaur activity that’s fun for kids, keeps them active, smiling and roaring then this is your answer: Dinosaur Freeze Tag.
Dino lovers and non-dino lovers alike will be thrilled with this version of freeze tag. It’s great for everyday fun and an inexpensive option for dinosaur themed birthday parties!
Here’s how Jurassic Dinosaur Freeze Tag works:
- One meat eating dinosaur is designated to start as the tagger. This carnivore could be the birthday boy (or girl) or whoever wants to go first.
- This carnivore (T-Rex?) is very hungry and is trying to attack all the herbivores. The herbivores are everyone else who is playing the game.
- The carnivore puts on the dino hat and a game of tag begins.
- If the carnivore successfully wounds an herbivore by lightly tagging another player then that dinosaur is frozen in place.
- A NOTE before we go on: You may need to put some rules in place so that the kids don’t get carried away with the game. Such as, no actual attacking of other players, no biting, no clawing, no body slamming, etc. Light touches ONLY when tagging another player.
- The herbivore that is frozen in place can become unfrozen when another herbivore comes and tags them. All the herbivores are working together to stay away from the scary, attacking meat-eating dinosaur.
- Once all the herbivores have been tagged and are frozen in place (or the tagger no longer wants to be the meat-eater) then it is time for a new carnivore to be designated.
Molded Child's Dinosaur Foam Party Hats - 12 Pack Assorted Designs Price:
Our three kids played this game of Dino Freeze Tag with their sweet little cousin who could certainly win the award for the cutest and least scary meat-eating dinosaur I’ve ever seen. 🙂
Before or after the game, you can include a learning component by talking to your children about carnivores and herbivores. I’ve provided a FREE Printable Dinosaur Fact Sheet for your reference. If you are looking for an additional dinosaur resource, National Geographic Kids Ultimate Dinopedia Full Disclosure: We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase, at no additional cost to you. is one of our favorite dino fact books and I’d highly recommend it. Ours has been so well-loved that the spine is loose and pages have been taped.
National Geographic Kids Ultimate Dinopedia, Second Edition Price:
***FREE Printable Dinosaur Fact Sheet***
Either way, with our without additional resources, you can have your kids play this game of freeze tag with a twist. Our kids had so much fun with it and I hope yours do too!
Leave a Reply